Wayne Lee first started in the grocery business in his hometown of Columbia, MS as a 13-year-old bag boy and delivery boy. He later became a butcher and started his own store in 1939, but the meat shortage during World War II brought him offers to move.
In 1942, Wayne Lee moved to Pascagoula, MS. Over the next couple of years, he operated two different meat markets. Mr. Lee opened his first grocery and market in Pascagoula located in the Bozo's seafood building on Ingalls Avenue. After a couple of years, he sold the business and moved back to Columbia, MS. In 1953, Wayne and Nita Lee returned to Pascagoula and purchased the store on Telephone Road. In 1974, Mr. Lee built a new 25,000 square foot store behind the original store on Telephone Road. Mr. Lee's reputation for quality meats and customer service led to continued growth. In November of 1978, Mr. Lee opened his second location in Lucedale, MS. Wayne Lee's reputation as the "Home of Choice Beef" spread throughout the George and Jackson County area and beyond.
Perry Wayne Lee, Wayne Lee's son, joined the business in 1971 as a bag boy and has enjoyed seeing the business grow. Mr. Lee unexpectedly passed away in December of 1978 and Perry Wayne Lee then became president of the company. Perry Lee remains dedicated to his father's original vision and mission for the stores, which was based on excellent customer service and high-quality meats and produce. Through his similar work ethic, Perry and his family strive to keep Wayne Lee's legacy alive.